Tuesday 19 April 2016

A-Z Challenge - P is for.....

Good morning again!

For today's letter P we have:


Pea soup:
noun - a thick savoury and usually pureed soup made from split yellow and/or green peas
origin - first written account is in 1711 when it was referred to as pease soup

Also:
pea-souper - a thick fog, sometimes containing poisonous gases
origin - 1800s London when people spoke about the thick fog in the city


Charts about peas include:

Pea Souper by Heritage Crafts

Sweet Pea Posy by  Heritage Crafts

La Soupe by Thea Gouverneur
(I tried but couldn't find a chart specifically for pea soup)


My personal Ps include:
premature - Toby was born six weeks premature weighing just 4lb 11oz. He was in Special Care for 17 days before being allowed home. It was tough visiting him for only a few hours each day then leaving without him but I knew he was getting the best care possible.
Planet Rock - the ONLY radio station we have on in our house - and it's on nearly all the time!
Pepsi Max - I have to have my fizzy caffeine fix every day! I gave up fizzy drinks for Lent this year. I know Lent is about sacrifice and will power but never again will I go without my Pepsi!!! ;)


My P finish represents the birth of my premature son who was almost as small as the picture portrays:


Rocking Baby by Vervaco

I had a love-hate relationship with this project - the threads misbehaved, I kept misreading the chart and it all came out a bit drab-looking. But I've grown to like it over the years.


Tomorrow's Q might make you feel a bit peckish!
Rachel x

12 comments:

Linda said...

Great post Rachel. I love the birth sampler. It is really pretty.

Linda

Preeti said...

Lovely birth sampler :) Giving up something which you have daily must be difficult. I drink too much of water especially when I was working in office. I must be drinking 3-4 litres within a span of 8hrs :( too much water is not good either.

Mii Stitch said...

Love the birth sampler you made for Toby!!
Hurray for Pepsi Max ;)

Katie said...

"P"retty amazing post. Jeremiah was born 2 months early. He was 4 pounds and stayed in the NICU for 3 weeks. So scary when they are that little. I just love your piece though. I think it shows how delicate they are.

Heather said...

Great choices I hate peas but love London lol

#HeatherMakes said...

Haha P Soup ... that made me giggle! Great post and I think your stitching for your prem baby son is just fab!

Unknown said...

Caught up today with N O and P. You have so many great finishes... And you have shared so many great things about you and your family.

Tiffstitch said...

They also used "pea soup" as a derogatory term for French Canadians back in the 60s (I think). It's a staple in most French Canadian restaurants. I love your Vervaco design for Toby and glad all turned out well.

Brigitte said...

I love peas and I love pea soup - great word for P. And that Sweet Pea Posy looks so nice.
That's great chart that you stitched for your son.

Justine said...

I love your birth sampler for Toby. It's so delicate.
The Sweet Peas are gorgeous too!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Perfect birth sampler. Toby was less than half my son's birth weight! No wonder people thought I was having twins.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

ps I spotted Planet Rock!