Monday 6 September 2021

Tokyo Paralympics New Start #13 - Watercolour Dolphin

Hi all!

So, here we are at the final new start to accompany the Tokyo Paralympics.

When Tiff and I set out on our 17 day run of new starts for the Tokyo Olympics, we did not expect to carry on with another 13 new starts for the Paralympics, but it honestly took very little persuading on both our parts! Check out Tiff's blog to see her interpretations of the dragons I've been stitching, and read fascinating facts about various Paralympic sports.

So here is my final start. I said yesterday it's similar but different, and now you can see why; it uses variegated thread, but it's not a dragon:


Watercolour Dolphin by StitchItPicasso (etsy
Stitched on 16ct Bermuda overdyed aida
Stitched with ThreadworX 11382 Blue Swirl
Started - 5th September 2021
Stitching time to date - 1 hour 15 minutes


This Blue Swirl thread was going to be used for one of the dragons, and the more muted blue/grey thread of dragon 5, started on day 4, used for this one. But I decided the dolphin needed to be bold and bright, just like the fabric. And, once it's finished, I've already got the perfect backing fabric. :)

Top Paralympic Moment
The whole closing ceremony! Like the other Tokyo opening and closing ceremonies it was reflective of the situation and, once again, included key workers. But the stand out moment for me was what I have called the 'dance of the arms' culminating in the words Paris 2024. I've tried to find a clip and find out who they were but can't. Please let me know if you have more success and I'll update this page with a link.


So, that's it for new starts, again! I hope you've enjoyed following Tiff and myself as we started a new project each day during both the Tokyo Olympics and Tokyo Paralympics. Thanks to not being able to say no, I now have my highest number of WIPs ever! I won't tell you how many, but they're available to count up on a group of side bars on the right if you so wish. At least it's not quite triple figures!!

And for those who have been asking, NO, I will not be starting more projects for the Beijing Winter Olympics and Paralympics next February/March! Tiff and I have already touched on it and have a couple of ideas, but new starts are definitely out of the question for me.

Take care,
Rachel x

2 comments:

Leonore Winterer said...

That's a pretty dolphin! I'm very much looking forward to all these new starts being finished one by one. And maybe a little sad we won't see another new surge of new starts next year, but I totally understand where you are coming from there!

Tiffstitch said...

I love this one! Great choice and it will look excellent in that blue. I might need some of that thread for reasons. :)