Saturday 7 August 2021

Tokyo Olympics New Start #15 - United Kingdom

Hello all!

So, we're into the last three days of the Olympics, with athletics, diving and cycling on my radar. I did watch a bit of the climbing but that didn't really appeal to me, although the kayak racing provided an interesting adrenaline rush!

My accompanying start was home grown:


United Kingdom from A Journey Around The World by Soda Stitch
Stiched on 18ct Around The World over-dyed aida
Stitch count 79 wide by 73 high
Started - 6th August 2021
Stitching time to date - 1 hour 50 minutes


It felt good to make a start on one of the most iconic landmarks in the world, although I'm not sure the colour is exactly right!!


Fun Olympic Fact
We're always aware of the winning times in events, but what about the slowest?
The longest time taken to finish an Olympic marathon is 54 years, 8 months and 6 days! Kanakuri Shizo started the marathon in 1912 but stopped part way through and fell asleep, missing the remainder of the race. After going home to Japan, he was eventually tracked down and returned to Stockholm to finish the course in 1967. Nowadays events such as this have a cut-off point, so this time will remain a record.

Tomorrow I'm hopping across the Pond...

Take care,
Rachel x

2 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Cute little London! I love the little red bus.
I've heard the story about the marathon runner, apparently he was too embarrassed to admit he fell asleep so just went quietly home.

Leonore Winterer said...

Another cute start! The marathon story I had heard before, but it's a cute one.