Wednesday 4 August 2021

Tokyo Olympics New Start #12 - Privet Drive

Hi all!

So we're into the last few days of the Olympics now, no doubt a blessing for those who are fed up with the coverage and me harping on about it every day!

My new start today was absolutely tiny, 17 half stitches to be precise, and hardly worth showing, but I had a very good excuse - I was cradling one of my feather-babies until the end, something which was very important for me to do. After that I didn't feel like stitching.  :(

This is Privet Drive, another of the Harry Potter themed snow globes. For those who don't know, Privet Drive was where Harry lived with his Aunt, Uncle and Cousin, until he went off to Hogwarts. He occasionally returned during school holidays but was never welcomed, nor wanted to return, so it was better for all if he spent his holidays elsewhere.


Privet Drive Snow Globe my MIYAstitch (etsy)
Stitched on 16ct Swirl Grey over-dyed aida
Stitch count 66 wide by 82 high
Started - 3rd August 2021
Stitching time to date - 5 minutes!!


Such a small start it's hardly worth showing, and I think it's my worst new start ever! But as people have said before, a start is a start!


Fun Olympic Fact
The Tokyo Olympics is the first time that the number of events for females and mixed teams has surpassed the number for men. In the first Olympics in 1896, no events for women were held. It took until Montreal in 1976 for female and mixed events to reach 25%+, then Atlanta 1996 to reach 40%+, and now Tokyo 2020 to reach 50%+. Guess the world has finally realised women deserve equal footing on the sporting stage.

I don't know about you, but I enjoyed watching the mixed relays in swimming, running and the triathlon. Yes, men are usually going to be faster/stronger/etc. but there have been mixed events in things like badminton and tennis for a while, so why not more sports?

Take care,
Rachel x

5 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your feather-baby. Definitely not a worry about only a few stitches.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your bird, it's never easy to lose a pet.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The mixed sports is an interesting one, presumably it's a mixed team with an equal number of men and women on each team? That would be fairer than allowing men to compete directly with women. They could even extend it to include Para Olympians!

Cathy said...

I'm enjoying your fun facts, most of which are new to me. And a start is a start, no matter how many stitches.

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your feather baby - this definitely takes precedence over stitching!
Although you did pick a another great new start, even if it only saw a couple stitches. And I do love the olympic facts!