Sunday 8 August 2021

Tokyo Olympics New Start #16 - United States

Hello again!

So it was the penultimate day of the Olympics yesterday and the sporting action continued with more cycling, diving and a few other bits and pieces on my screen.

My new start hopped me from the United Kingdom to the United States:


United States from A Journey Around The World by Soda Stitch
Stitched on 18ct Around The World over-dyed aida
Stitch count 78 wide by 72 high
Started - 7th August 2021
Stitching time to date - 55 minutes


I was all prepared for a long night of stitching but, again, it was not to be so my new start was nowhere near as much as I had planned, if you can actually see the tiny bit of building and lights against the fabric!


Fun Olympic Fact
Lots of fuss has been made about young athletes at this Olympics - a 12 year old table tennis star, a 13 year old skateboard sensations and a 14 year old near-perfect diver, but what about the oldest Olympic competitors?
The oldest male competitor was 72 year old Oscar Swahn, who competed in shooting in 1920, and the oldest female competitor was 70 year old equestrian Laura Johnston in 1972. Considering the average age at Tokyo is 27, and most athletes retire in their 30s, I expect these records are unlikely to be broken!

Fun Olympic Fact update...

Back on day 11 I wrote that Oscar Swahn, along with his brother, were the most successful Summer Olympic family with 15 medals, including 6 golds, between them.

Following this Olympics, the Swahn's have now been joined by the husband and wife cycling duo of Jason and Laura Kenny, although with 12 golds out of 15 medals I would suggest they pip the Swhan's for top place on the leader board.

It's the final day of the Olympics today which means my final new start and Fun Olympic Fact post tomorrow :(

Take care,
Rachel x

4 comments:

Linda said...

I'm loving all of your new starts Rachel but they aren't helping my pocket book.

Linda

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

This Around the World series is so cute, I'm almost tempted to buy them. The only thing that is stopping me is that I don't need any more designs.
I've enjoyed reading your fun facts throughout your Olympic posts.

Tiffstitch said...

It's still a start, and a very cute one. Great info too! I knew there was a 60+year old equestrian athlete this year.

Leonore Winterer said...

What a cute little start! I find both the 'very young' and 'very old' athletes admirable.