Wednesday 18 February 2015

DSDUCJFC 2015 - Day 48

Hi y'all!

Apologies first - I'm behind on reading and commenting on blogs again! I've got about three days worth to catch up on so should be with you soon!

My thread order did not arrive so I only had two colours for this chart to stitch with. Luckily one was enough for the day!



The Lock
Heritage Crafts Silhouettes
Stitched on 16ct Cream Aida 2 over 1


I've had a few people ask what "squished" stitches are. I don't know the proper name for them and I'm not good at explanations but hopefully the following will make sense. When you do a 1/4 3/4 stitch the grid square is divided diagonally. For "squished" stitches the grid square is divided vertically or horizontally so that you stitch two crosses side by side or top and bottom where there would normally only be one stitch. The Little Black Cat designs use these cleverly for detail, and it also allows full stitches to "jump" half a square. Here's a section of yesterday's Sugar chart, which is probably more useful than my waffle! You should be able to enlarge it to see it better.


Any clearer?

EDIT: There's a tutorial page on the Heritage Crafts website here which shows the various stitches they use. Apparently my "squished" stitches are called horizontal or vertical half stitches (which is a bit confusing as they are still full crosses!) Now there is no excuse for not understanding!!!

Happy stitching
Crazy Rachel x

9 comments:

Linda said...

Great start Rachel and again you got so much done. Do you have to do the squashed stitches or can you do just a regular x with one color? What is the name of this design?

Linda

Justine said...

Lovely new start Rachel. It's so atmospheric. About 15 years ago I lived by a lock and used to love sitting in my room watching the boats go through. It was busy at holiday time!

Rachel said...

I've just updated the page with the design name - The Lock. I suppose you don't have to follow the pattern exactly but you'd lose detail if you didn't. I haven't found the squashed stitches too bad for the silhouettes on aida as there aren't that many. But the Little Black Cats - definitely evenweave! :)

Mii Stitch said...

I wondered what "squished" crosses were too! :) Now that you've explained & showed us what you're on about... I totally understand!! I've been stitching on some designs which at the same squished crosses a long time ago and yes.. evenweave is definitely a must :)
Love your latest new start purely because of the sepia tones and again you've managed to get a lot done. Hope you've all enjoyed the pancakes!!! I've cheated, we had ours last Saturday as I had more time to make them xx

Katie said...

The puppy one I started with the big stick has these stitches. It's from the same company. I really like the way it blends and curves the piece. Love this design. We visit a large lock up in Michigan sometimes cause we love watching the freighters go through.

Kate said...

How very interesting! I've never seen those before. Thank you so much for explaining; it's so nice to learn something new. Love the new start :-)

Caitlin D said...

I can't say I've ever seen that stitch before. more power to you, I have enough of a hard time with the 1/4 stitches on aida. Lol.
Wonderful progress too with only a few colors to go on.

Tama said...

Such a pretty pattern - so soft and dreamlike. Great start!!!

Angela S said...

Hello! :) I really like your silhouette series. The colors are so calm and beautiful. Thanks for posting the link on the squashed stitches (that is how I'm going to think of them from now on). It was really informative!