Friday 30 July 2021

Tokyo Olympics New Start #7 - Mexico

Helloooo!

My Olympic watching yesterday was gymnastics from start to finish and then bits and pieces that were on in the background such as hockey, canoeing and even a bit of BMX biking! Can't say I'm a fan of the last one, but I still admire the competitors' fitness and commitment to their sport. Anyway, sometimes it's fun just listening to the commentators and how excited they get - when they crescendo, you know it's time to look at the TV screen!

To accompany the sports, I went to Mexico, which was a bit of a mistake as I'm supposed to be starting the projects alphabetically and realised too late that I missed out the one beginning with K. So now M comes before K in my alphabet! I didn't stitch for as long as I would have liked, just long enough to make a bit of a start at the top:


Mexico from A Journey Around The World by Soda Stitch
Stitched on 18ct Around The World over-dyed aida
Stitch count 78 wide by 66 high
Started - 29th July 2021
Stitching time to date - 1 hour 15 minutes


I thought afterwards I should have started with the lovely sombrero but it always makes more sense to me to work from the top down.


Fun Olympic Fact
With identical twins Jennifer and Jessica Gadirova winning bronze for GB in the women's artistic gymnastics team event (and there being another set of identical twins in the Italian team which came 4th) I wondered if they were the first identical twins to win an Olympic medal. The answer is, no!
In the 1980 Moscow Olympics, identical twins won both the gold and silver medals in the coxless pairs for East Germany and the Soviet Union respectively; do you think the bronze medalists, from GB, felt a little out of place on the podium?

More travelling around the world tomorrow, going backwards to the K piece I should have started today.

Take care,
Rachel x

4 comments:

2baggermom said...

I love the soda stitch countries on this fabric. Where did you purchase the fabrc from?

Tiffstitch said...

Oo, another fun one! And a cool fact too. There seems to be a fair number of siblings in Olympic competition, but winning bronze together is amazing!

Leonore Winterer said...

Hah, good thing alphabetizing is not an Olympic category then! Sorry :D
Nice start, and how interesting about the twins - especially winning for different countries!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Another cute travel piece.
You'd think being a twin would give them quite an advantage in paired sports because they are used to working together.