Saturday 24 July 2021

Tokyo Olympics New Start #1 - Autumnal Baby Dragon

Helloooo!

So the Tokyo 2020 Olympics are finally here, and that means not only can I be an armchair athlete for the next 17 days (as much as life allows) but I can also start 17 new projects to accompany my 'participation'.

I love the Olympics, and always have; it's an opportunity to watch the best of the best and see how the world can forget its differences by coming together under the flag of sport. The opening ceremony, I thought, was very respectful to the current situation, and it was lovely to see and hear essential key workers being thanked for their role in tackling the pandemic. My favourite part of the opening ceremony was the live performance of the pictograms. Some choreography to get that right!

I chose my 17 Olympic projects ages ago and decided to stitch them in alphabetical order.

So here's start number one, which just happens to incorporate three of my favourite things... autumnal colours, a dragon and cuteness!


Autumnal Baby Dragon by PatternsBySAstitch (etsy)
Stitched on 16ct Tea Stain over-dyed aida
Stitch count 65 wide by 45 high
Started - 23rd July 2021
Stitching time to date - 3 hours 50 minutes


I decided to stitch this one colour at a time to avoid constantly changing threads whilst being distracted by the opening ceremony. I think the bit I've done so far clearly identifies the outlines of the wings and tail.

Fun Olympic Fact
Because the number eight is lucky in China, the opening ceremony of the Beijing Games in 2008 commenced at 8 o'clock on the 8th day of the 8th month (wonder why it wasn't also 8 minutes past the hour?!)

Back tomorrow with start number 2 and another Fun Olympic Fact.

Take care,
Rachel x

6 comments:

Linda said...

Another fun start Rachel. My friend Kate and I are joining you and Tiff for the Olympic starts.

Linda

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That is an adorable little dragon!
Fun fact - our evening reception for our wedding started at 7.07pm on 07/07/07
One friend was a bit annoyed as he'd been planning to propose to his girlfriend at exactly that time and date and she thought he'd got the idea from us LOL

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, he's adorable! I'm looking forward to seeing the other 16.

Tiffstitch said...

I love your choice! Great start and fun fact. :)

Faith... said...

Perfect start for your Olympic journey! I will be cheering you on for the gold.

Astrids dragon said...

I'm with you on this one! So cute, I love it.