Monday 18 January 2021

A Monarch A Month - James I

Hi all!

As you are all fully aware by now, I have been, and am, stitching Kings and Queens by Bothy Threads at the rate of one monarch per month. It's been going for two years already. during which time I have stitched monarchs 1-24. This year I shall be stitching monarchs 25-36, which will leave me only five monarchs, numbers 37-41 next year, followed by the beading, the title and some sort of border I have yet to design. In other words, I may be over half way through monarchs, but I'm only about half way through the whole piece.

So, we start of this year with monarch number 25, James I.

Here he is, reading a very important version of the bible:

James I from Kings and Queens by Bothy Threads
Started - 3rd January 2021
Finished - 6th January 2021
Total stitching time - 5 hours 15 minutes


As a bit of background information, James had already been King James VI of Scotland for 36 years (since the age of 13 months) before also becoming King James I of England. His mother was Mary Queen of Scots, famously beheaded by Elizabeth for conspiring to overthrow her.


JAMES I
Preceded by Elizabeth I (first cousin twice removed)
Succeeded by Charles I (son)
Lived - 1566-1625
Reigned - 1603-1625
Married - Anne of Denmark 1589-1619
Children - 3 boys and 4 girls (four died very young and another in his teens)

James became King of England in 1603 following the death of Elizabeth I.

He was popular in both Scotland and England and was eager to unite them under one Parliament; neither country agreed.

He was obsessed with witchcraft, contributing to the burning of hundreds, possibly thousands, of witches during his reigns.

Yet James tolerated Catholicism and believed in negotiating peace, rather than going to war, with other countries.

An unintentional tip-off about a Catholic attempt to blow up Parliament and assassinate James and his ministers (The Gunpowder Plot) was foiled in 1605.

In 1607 Jamestown was established as the first permanent English colony in America. Others followed, including the Plymouth Colony settled by the Pilgrims sailing on the Mayflower in 1620.

In 1611 he published the Authorised King James Bible, consolidating a number of translations in one volume.

1612 marked a turning point in James' reign when his 18 year old son and heir, Henry, and his Chief Minister, Robert Cecil, both died.

James had a second son, Charles, to succeed him. But Cecil (who had been instrumental in negotiating James' smooth succession) had no such successor and factions began appearing in the previously-conforming Privy Council.

With Parliament opposing his requests, and his increasing belief in the absolute power of the monarch, James dissolved parliament and ruled without them from 1614 to 1621.

In his final few years, arthritis, gout and kidney stones took their toll on his health and James' power dwindled.

He died in 1625, a shadow of his former self, and was buried in Westminster Abbey.

So next month, his son Charles I, a man not born to be king but who would take his father's belief in absolute monarchy a bit too far.

Take care,
Rachel x

11 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Hmm, religiously tolerant but hated women! Your success on this large project shows what a good idea steady stitching is.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Hello to James I, great stitching

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

It's a large project but at least you've made it manageable.
I like the little bios on the monarchs.

Katie said...

Another wonderful history lesson. I love watching this one grow.

Linda said...

I so love the history lessons Rachel. Another great finish.

Linda

Bethan said...

AH I'm glad I caught this one - I've missed the last few :)

Faith... said...

Interesting read on James I. I did not realize he never know anything besides being a King. He basically sounds like a good guy with a few very warped ideas! He lived a pretty long life too. I am intrigued by the tease for next month regarding Charles.

Leonore Winterer said...

I recently read a comic book in which James becoming King was central to the plot - interesting to read the real story for comparison! To be honest, it's not that far off (except for in the comic, Dr Doom killed Elizabeth, so there's that...)

FlashinScissors said...

I really enjoy reading your history notes (sorry to be late, Instagram got me again).
I hadn’t realised he was responsible for the witch hunts! I do wish I could remember all these dates, so useful for quizzes!
Now it might be a silly question but if James dissolved Parliament and ruled without them from 1614 - 21, what happened in his failing years, the next 4 years - who ruled and did Parliament return?
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Tiffstitch said...

My fun fact about the King James Bible was when Shakespeare did some of the translating, he inserted his name somewhere for "shake" when it should have been "quake/tremble" and "spear" somewhere else. This was told me by my a friend from undergrad while she was doing some deep Bible reading, so might be true. Excellent stitching and summary!

Astrids dragon said...

Oh my, that's a lot of "witches" he got rid of!
I have been to Jamestown many times growing up, it's lovely to visit.