Monday 1 January 2024

Annual Stitching Plans 2024

Good morning everybody, and Happy New Year!!



** ANOTHER LONG POST ALERT! **

It's that time of year when I make a load of ridiculous stitching plans for the year ahead, knowing that I'm going to fail most of them! But, you know what... failure doesn't bother me in the slightest, so since I really enjoy planning my 'ideal' year, what's the harm?

So, are you ready to laugh with me at what my perfect year of stitching would consist of?!


FOCUS PIECES / YEAR-LONG SALs:

1) KINGS AND QUEENS - CONTINUE (FINISH?)
Per the chart, there are only eight monarchs left to stitch (but 11 to blog) and the title to add. After that, I would like to to add the heirs, restitch a few of the names, and maybe add a border around the whole design. This could become a finish in 2024.



2) THE LONELINESS OF AUTUMN
 - CONTINUE
I am a woeful 21 months behind on SALing this with Leonore. Given that I'm very unlikely to catch up, my focus will just be on stitching for 10 hours each month (more if possible). If successful, it could move from being 50% to 75% complete with the addition of another 16 colours.



3) SMALLS SAL
 - STITCH ONE SMALL PER MONTH
These will probably be 12 from this Nordic Advent Calendar by Zindagi Designs on etsy. I might add some Etoile, and won't be stitching the numbers, but they will more or less look like these:



4) A-Z of WIPs - A NEW YEAR-LONG SAL WITH SERENDIPITOUS JO
Jo and I have enough WIPs each to enable us to work through 26 of them alphabetically at two/three per month, starting with A and B in January and ending with Y and Z in December. Jo will use IHSW for this; I will stitch for two days on each earlier in the month but post at roughly the same time.


THEMED MONTHS:

1) MISCHIEVOUS MARCH
A mini new start binge, starting one small-ish project each weekend of the month, and aiming to finish them during the month, or soon after. Projects as yet undecided.

2) CHRISTMAS IN JULY
Focus on Christmas stitching. Project(s) as yet undecided.

3) SUMMER OLYMPICS AND PARALYMPICS 
26th July-11th August and 28th August-8th September (29 days).
Start one section of this Harry Potter themed Advent Calendar, by 1000sPatterns on etsy, each day (2 sections on the days of the opening ceremonies). I may stitch them individually rather than as one design but that decision doesn't have to be made just yet.



4) DARK OCTOBER
Focus on Halloween stitching. This will probably be Haunted Library by Mill Hill. I've finished all the stitching so just need to add the beads:



5) NAUGHTY NOVEMBER
Another potential mini new start binge. Projects as yet undecided.

6) DECEMBER
Focus on Christmas stitching. Project(s) as yet undecided.


NON-STITCHING SALS:

1) PEOPLE'S CHOICE SAL - first Saturday of the month
Hosted by Jo of Serendipitous Stitching where we post around a theme for the month.
EDIT - this will, sadly, be taking a break after January. I shall definitely miss it, but totally understand.

2) FULLY FINISHED GALLERY SAL - 10th of the month
Hosted by me, with the theme of finish-finishing stitched pieces rather than leaving them languishing in boxes, cupboards or drawers. With an embarrassingly high 60 pieces in my Box Of Shame I have plenty to be getting on with!


AND THEN, IF TIME PERMITS...

1) RAINBOW DRAGON
2024 is the Chinese Year Of The Dragon and I just have to stitch a dragon to accompany it. I have a couple of Dragon WIPs, but have instead chosen to start this (female) Rainbow Dragon bought from PatternNadGavr on etsy but now also available in other stores. With a prevailing wind, this could be completed in 2024.



2) MONOCHROMATIC LIBRARY
This is a big project (470x250) but since it's only(!) 46,092 stitches of one colour I can cope. My hope is to complete about 60 of the estimated 300+ hours. It's also a venture into two new areas which, even after 30 years of stitching, I have never attempted - 1 over 1 and 25 count! It's not going to be black on white like the picture, but mahogany-brown on Vintage Coffee for more of a Ye Olde Worlde feel. The designer is StitchingJulesDesign on etsy.



3) SCARLET MACAW PREENING
Well, after finding the perfect fabric, how could I not start this one!??? I know this will be a very long project but am not bothered by that. My aim is to finish it before retirement age, which is only (mumble mumble) years away! Again, 60 hours is the mark I would like to reach.



And that's all!!!

So from SALs and WIPs, to small designs and big new starts, and with some challenges thrown in for good measure, I have lots of variety to look forward to. And if all goes well (hahaha!) I should be able to fit everything in. If life goes pear-shaped again, well... I'll just do what I can.

On the other hand, if other challenges or SALs (or temptations!) come along, or I decide to focus on WIPs instead, then all of the above could go out of the window! Nothing is set in stone.

I wonder what your plans are for the year? I'm looking forward to reading them all!

Wishing you all a very happy, healthy and stitchy 2024,
Rachel x

10 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Happy New Year! New Year's plans are so much fun. I actually forgot this was the year of the dragon, but I do have a dragon WIP to work on, so I'll try that.

Linda said...

Great plans Rachel. Can you send me a link to the Harry Potter Advent Calendar?

Happy New Year
Linda

Clare-Aimetu said...

A super selection of projects, I do like your Kings and Queens one. Great idea to stitch Christmas smalls. Happy stitching in 2024

jocondine said...

So many wonderful patterns! I'll be glad to follow your progress on your blog and to participate this year again to the FFG. Bonne année 2024 ! xxx

Katie said...

Lovely plans. I sure hope you can do some if not all of them. We deserve a stitching filled 2024. Never know what life has in store though. I went overboard and I love it right now haha. I am having a lot of fun making plans and checking things off. So we'll see how it goes.

I know one thing. I will be here cheering you on.

Leonore Winterer said...

And here I thought my plans were ambitious - you got a lot on your plate as well! Love the variety of it all, looking forward to seeing progress on all your lovely projects. Timing TLoA for a finish within two years or so sounds reasonable, catching up would be way too daunting a task as this point.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Fabulous post and amazing plans! I love the Harry Potter tree and the little Scandi Advent too.
I've also been keeping an eye on retirement, less than 10 years now! So anything which has 12 parts needs to get started now if I intend to do one a year.

Astrids dragon said...

"And that's all!!!" she says!😄
All great pieces, but I really love the Rainbow Dragon.

Toki said...

Hello Rachel. It's already halfway through January, but Happy New Year🐲. I learned about your plans for this year and was surprised by the amount of projects you have. And I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. I love your sense of choosing works.😆

Faith... said...

It is a great list of fun projects and I hope that you can accomplish at least most of what you have planned. Happy Stitching.