Saturday 30 December 2023

Some Really Exciting News!!

Good afternoon!

Sorry for another post, but I have some really really really really exciting news to share!

Those who have been following me for a long time might remember that I have been desperate to stitch this gorgeous fellow since I bought the chart way back in 2014. If you need reminding, or are newer to my blog, then let me introduce Scarlet Macaw Preening (aka Sherlock) by Shinysun's Cross Stitch:



He's a very big project - 400x532 - which I estimate would take about 1700 hours to do, so it was always my intention to stitch just the macaw on a suitable hand-dyed fabric and thus eliminate about 1000 hours of stitching the background!

On three occasions I thought I'd found the right background fabrics, only to be unhappy to continue on any of them, but every so often I would browse the internet to see if anything new had appeared, which it invariably hadn't. Until now when my search is finally over because... drumroll please... I have just purchased this 30x36 piece of 18ct aida:



It's from RiverHutDesigns on etsy and a slightly modified version of Autumns Rainbow (it bugs me there's no apostrophe in Autumns so I'm going to add one from now on). It's got more of an overall pale terracotta tinge than the photo, but even with three different cameras (none of which would correctly focus either) and some photo editing I couldn't get the colours to look right. I'll have to try again another day.

Claire from RiverHutDesigns was excellent and I cannot sing her praises enough for both her communication and actually listening to my requirements. OK, it's still not as dark as I would have liked, but I think that's more to do with being used to seeing the dark background on the chart for the last 10 year than anything, and on this fabric Sherlock is sure going to 'pop'!

I can't tell you how excited I am that my 10 year search to find a suitable background fabric has finally ended. It just goes to show, never say never! And, as a bit of a bonus, the fabric has shrunk slightly from 18ct to 19ct, and the holes have closed up a bit, so I should be able to get away with using just one strand of thread.

As for when I start him, well, 2024 is overflowing but plans (which I will divulge on 1st January) but somehow I don't think a little inconvenience like that is going to stop me, do you??!!

Take care,
Rachel x

7 comments:

tweezle said...

Congratulations!!!! I can't wait to see your start and progress. S

Tiffstitch said...

That is gorgeous, I hope Sherlock likes it too.

Katie said...

Fabric never photographs well so I'm sure it's just perfect in person because I love it on the screen. Can't wait to see you sneak this one into your WIPs haha.

Leonore Winterer said...

Oooh I remember us talking about the fabric for this pieces YEARS ago, so glad you finally found one you like - it's gorgeous!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

How exciting! I actually adopted one of the unsuitable fabrics from you and stitched an Ink Circles on it. I still have plenty left and thought of one of the Nora Corbett Bewitching Pixies.
I think the parrot is going to really pop on that paler fabric, he blends into the background too much in the photo to my mind.

Astrids dragon said...

That fabric is gorgeous. What a great idea to use that so you don't have to stitch the background!

Faith... said...

Rachel I love that chart and I hope that this fabric will be the perfect one for you. I can't wait to see it started.