Wednesday 27 December 2023

Merry Christmas By The Letter - finished?

Hi all,

For Christmas in July 2021 I started Lizzie Kate's Merry Christmas By The Letter. I carried on in December 2021, and again during Christmas in July 2022. Then it got put aside until this month, when I was determined it would become a pre-Christmas finish.

So with trashy Christmas films in the background (most of which tell roughly the same story so you don't actually have to 'watch' them) I set to work.

Here's how I left it in July 2022:



And now all finished after having added the final three letters, the fireplace and the buttons (and having gone through about two dozen trashy Christmas films!):

Merry Christmas By The Letter by Lizzie Kate
Stitched on 16ct Golden over-dyed aida
Started - 6th July 2021
Finished - 20th December 2023
Total stitching time - 76 hours 45 minutes


I made a few subtle changes to the layout, leaving out a row of snowflakes under the 'Y' (although I don't know why!) and moving some letters around a space or two.

The reason I'm questioning whether or not it's finished is because I'm tempted to make some additions. Part of me says leave it as it is but part says it might look better if:
 - the fireplace was extended to make a full hearth rather than just the top half
 - a wreath of beads was added to the fireplace
 - and maybe a small border of holly, with beads for the berries, was added

I don't know. What do you think? If I did make any or all of the above additions they would not be until next year's Christmas in July so I've got six months to think about them!

Take care,
Rachel x
 

10 comments:

Katie said...

Oh very pretty. Congrats on the maybe finish haha.
I personally think it looks just fine the way it is but I do see the advantages of your improvements. So I wouldn't blame you to change it. I would just be excited about moving onto the next WIP haha.

Cathy said...

The only improvement I would make would be to extend the fireplace to its full length. The others would depend on your time and energy. Except for the fireplace which makes it look unfinished, it's beautiful as it is.

Pamela said...

This is very cute, like all Lizzie Kate lettering. I would be tempted to extend the fireplace. Well done! (Or maybe almost done?)

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Ann C. said...

It looks great, but I agree that it could look even better with a full fireplace!

Tiffstitch said...

It looks amazing! It does have an unfinished feeling at the bottom. I like all of your options, although tight framing would get rid of the need to extend the fireplace. Of the other 2 options, I love the beads idea. If the holly was to be all over the piece, that's a lot of extra work. I probably wouldn't, only to spend more time on the other WIPs. However, if you want to hang it and it's going to bother you unless you add it, then definitely do it. Love the choice of fabric on this one too.

Leonore Winterer said...

Wow, that's a lot of stitching for a mostly-letters design like this! Congrats on your 'finish'. I agree with people above that extending the fire place might be the biggest improvement, but it would also take a lot of additional stitching and charting. I'd probably go with that and the wreath and solve the border 'problem' another way, maybe via a painted mat or something?

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Congratulations on the Merry Dance! I agree with other people that the fireplace would benefit from being extended and beads would be lovely.
I like Leonore's idea of adding the holly as part of a mat. Much quicker than stitching it! You could even use Christmas scrapbook paper as a mount.

Faith... said...

It is beautiful Rachel and if you left it just like it is it would be fine. Though I too think the fireplace idea is a good one and if you did that then I think the holly with beads would be a very pretty addition! Good luck on making your decision.