Wednesday 6 December 2023

Moonset Ornaments 1, 2, 3 and 4 all finished (possibly!)

Good morning one and all!

For Naughty November I started four new projects, all of which were fairly small and all of which I hoped to finish during the month.



Well, I didn't quite manage it, but wasn't far off; just one day off in fact, finishing the final design on 1st December.

As is usual for my WBTW projects, I made a few small changes...
 - the lighter parts of the moon in all four were stitched using a blend of 762 and C415, and the darker parts using 168 and C318.
 - the Gates and Lamppost have had one strand of normal 3799 replaced with C3799.
 - the Cenotaph and Cross were stitched with the brighter 167, 738, 3823 and 3865 instead of the muted 840, 841, 842 and 3866 respectively.

Other than that, they are stitched as charted!

Ornament 1
Hmmm... compared to the cover picture above, the black cats are a bit lost in the shadows. I'm thinking of frogging the shadows and either stitching them in one strand or subbing for a lighter grey than 3799.

Ornament 1 'Gate' from Moonset by Whispered By The Wind
Stitched on 32ct Vintage Dark Grey Murano
Started - 4th November 2023
Finished - 27th November 2023
Total stitching time - 21 hours


Ornament 2
Even taking into account perspective, this seems a little out of proportion to me... that's one big owl! But at least the Cenotaph doesn't (quite) look like a skyscraper anymore!

Ornament 2 'Cenotaph' from Moonset by Whispered By The Wind
Stitched on 32ct Vintage Dark Grey Murano
Started - 11th November 2023
Finished - 28th November 2023
Total stitching time - 15 hours 5 minutes


Ornament 3
I really love the detail of the cross on this one but, again, the owl looks a little too big.

Ornament 3 'Cross' from Moonset by Whispered By The Wind
Stitched on 32ct Vintage Dark Grey Murano
Started - 18th November 2023
Finished - 30th November 2023
Total stitching time - 10 hours 50 minutes


Ornament 4
Although this is as charted, I think the lamppost needs a base. It's artistic, but looks incomplete. I should have enough spare fabric for another 10 or so rows, so maybe this one isn't complete after all! It's nice to have a little bit of colour though.

Ornament 4 'Lamppost' from Moonrise by Whispered By The Wind
Stitched on 32ct Vintage Dark Grey Murano
Started - 25th November 2023
Finished - 1st December 2023
Total stitching time - 5 hours 55 minutes


So that's all four of my Naughty November starts finished, unless I change the shadows and /or extend the lamppost. It's also another four pieces added to my Box Of Shame; if I don't get FFOing soon, I'll need a bigger box!

Time to focus on Christmas stitching now and, if I'm lucky, another finish.

Take care,
Rachel x

4 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Fabulous finishes! I'd say the owl is close up and the cenotaph is far away (is that a Father Ted reference?)
But the cross is rather small in comparision, unless that's an eagle owl?
I do love the little cat sat on the urn in the Cenotaph design.

Leonore Winterer said...

Well done finishing them all, even with they do not a little tweaking! Personally I'd leave the lamppost as is, if you add a base, it might look a little short.

Katie said...

Love the way they turned out. I see your points but I think they look just fine.

Tiffstitch said...

These look wonderful! Clearly that's a Great Horned Owl or something similar. They're a metre or so in height I think?