Saturday 2 April 2022

People's Choice SAL - Series of Designs

Hello all!

It's the first Saturday of the month so time for the People's Choice SAL run by Jo from Serendipitous Stitching. Continued thanks to Jo for hosting this unique SAL which has a different theme each month.



This month's theme is Series Of Designs.

This could be a very long post indeed as there are quite a lot of series I have stitched, am stitching or want to stitch. Or at least I thought so, because I then thought, what is the difference between a series of designs and a set of designs?

I decided (and please feel free to disagree) that a set of designs is published at the same time (as would be found in a magazine, for example) but a series is released over time, usually individually, and with a finite number of designs. A series can then become a set once all in the series have been stitched. Or maybe I'm making things too complicated?

So, with that definition in mind, I made my list and then culled it to the following:

Little Kittens by DMC - so far I've stitched two stitched in the series (Sleepy Kitty and Big Eyes Kitty) leaving three more (Three Cute Cats, Sleepy, and Piano Time) to go. Here they all are:





Little Black Cats by Heritage Crafts - all four have been stitched. Going clockwise from top left they are Cream, Coffee, Tea and Sugar:



There are more Little Black Cat designs, a series of six, which are also on my to-do list. One has been started but barely enough to warrant showing the WIP so I'll show all the cover pictures instead:

A Pair Of Swingers, Basket Case and Beached

Bird Watching, Cooling Off and Don't Do It!


Mini Woodland Folk by DMC - all six have been stitched. They are Toby Fox, Ollie Owl, Bert Badger, Frankie Hedgehog, Mollie Mouse and Sally Squirrel.



There is a series of seven in slightly bigger versions which are also on my to do list... one day... maybe:

Bert Badger and Boris Hare


 Frankie Hedgehog and Molly Mouse


 Ollie Owl and Sally Squirrel


Toby Fox


Solos by Valerie Pfeiffer for Heritage Crafts - all four have been stitched - Chick Berry, Humming Along, Lady In Red, and Simply Wren. Valerie has designed lots more birds including a series of Duets and Trios. As much as I would love to stitch them, none are in my stash. Yet!




If time was no object, the series I would love to stitch the most is the Lavender and Lace Seasonal Celtic Ladies. Most have been converted to different (better) colourways on the internet but these are the originals, which I sure most of you are very familiar with:

     

     


Of course, this list could go on if I included all of the Lizzie Kate's I have stitched or stashed, as she's brilliant at creating series and sets, but I think that's enough for this post.

Next month's theme is Witches; Hubble, bubble toil and trouble!

Take care,
Rachel x

7 comments:

Pamela said...

You have some sweet sets. The cats are very nice and the birds are adorable!

jocondine said...

What a great post, so many lovely patterns. Love the birds and the perfect colors fabric. xxx

Rita said...

These celtic ladies are beautiful, I have the Christmas one!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in The People's Choice this month. I like your definition of a series, I'm not sure what the difference is either!
But you definitely have stitched a lot that fit the brief.
I love the bird series here.
I'd also love to stitch all the Celtic Ladies, there's a gorgeous Halloween conversion I really like. So far I have done Noel. Once in red and once as a Bride.

Faith... said...

Love your sets of series. Boris Hare is ADORABLE! I may have to look for him. Those Celtic Ladies are gorgeous and you can almost always see someone stitching one or another on FB.

Katie said...

Love them all. Thanks for sharing.

Leonore Winterer said...

Interesting discussion about set vs series. I'd maybe tend to call it a set if it's associated with something (like seasons, months, zodiac signs) but I wouldn't hesitate including those in this series-post either!
You stitched some very pretty ones and have a lot more to stitch!