Tuesday 24 March 2020

Spring Into Summer New Start Binge

Hi all!

I hope you are all keeping safe in these scary and uncertain times.

I never thought I'd live to see the day the world shut down but have had most of my faith in humanity restored watching political leaders and most of the populations across the world taking it seriously and abiding with, let's face it, unprecedented and draconian legislation.

Naturally I hope you all stay healthy and out of danger.


I have been asked what is happening with the Tokyo Olympic Stitching Challenge I had planned for later this year. Well, as yet, the IOC/Japan have made no formal decision about the Olympic Games but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that they will have to be postponed. It therefore looks likely that this SAL will similarly be postponed.

EDIT: It has now been confirmed the Tokyo Olympic Games will be postponed for a year. Therefore this SAL will now become the Tokyo Olympic Stitching Challenge 2021. Put it in your diaries for next year - you've got plenty of time to plan for it!


Bearing that in mind, and assuming that we are all going to be in lock down for at least a month or two, does anyone fancy a new start binge?

An enthusiastic Tiff and I have decided that that's exactly what we need so I have come up with a Spring Into Summer New Start Binge. For the months of April and May we are planning to start a new project each weekend, making nine in total. If, after that, life is still on hold we talked of extending into June and maybe even July as that would, rather neatly, add up to the 17 new starts originally planned for the Tokyo Olympic Stitching Challenge. But that decision will be made closer to the time.

We appreciate it's fairly short notice, but does anyone fancy joining us for the next couple of months, maybe longer?

But don't worry... like the original Olympic Challenge, it doesn't have to be all new starts, it could be all WIPs or a combination of WIPs and new starts, or even spend those weekends concentrating on one WIP you really want to finish or don't usually enjoy working on. Whichever you choose, it's all about the weekends.

If you need any more convincing, look at the Spring Into Summer New Start Binge as:
* a replacement for the Tokyo Olympic Stitching Challenge
* something to look forward to each weekend for the next few months
* a way of staying sane whilst cooped up
* a way of spreading stitching happiness during these dark times

And if that isn't enough, just do what Tiff and I have done and consider it a damn good excuse for a new start binge!

Image result for i can resist everything except temptation


I really shouldn't be doing this, but what the heck - most of the circumstances I have had to deal with since the beginning of the year have basically now been taken out of my hands, and there's only so much housework / family time I can cope with in a day now that everyone's home all the time!

Yes, it'll take my WIPs over 50 (which I said I never wanted to happen again) and yes, I'll probably regret it later but, like I said, what the heck!

I have been reasonably sensible though - despite some bigger projects screaming to be started, I've chosen mainly smallish (under 20 hours) ones for the first two months, so nothing too excessive or large to over-burden my WIP pile. However, if we carry on into June and July that will more than likely change!

If you do fancy joining us for a run of new starts, or pulling out one or more older/neglected WIPs have fun stash or WIP diving! The first weekend will be 4th and 5th April and I'll be posting each new start update on the following Monday. Maybe see you there?

Take care and stay safe,
Rachel x

9 comments:

Cathy said...

It sounds interesting, but I don't think I'll be joining you. I start new projects regularly and don't want to have to change projects every weekend. I will, however, be watching for all the new starts that do occur!

Faith... said...

I may be there since they can be WIPs and new starts. April is close but I have confidence that I have something around here ready to go!

Stay safe friend.

Katie said...

Noooo new starts......I have so many things I already want to work on. So I will join in...just with stitching on my WIPs. I can do that. I do really really look forward to seeing your new starts and cheering you along!!!

Bethan said...

It sounds interesting - I would only work on my WIP because I tend to only have one thing running in each craft type I do (if that makes sense). I am trying to use some of this enforced downtime to make a dent in my craft pile - we shall see how that goes x

Tiffstitch said...

Yay for more new starts! I love seeing your progress as you take time with each photo, unlike me, and they always look great. :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I was going to pass on this, as I don't want to add to my WIPs but then I thought that I intended to start some new Just Nan Smalls for Maynia so maybe I can start them early. Is it any day of the weekend?

Clare-Aimetu said...

Great idea but I'll pass as I have so much stitching to do already, but I'll be following all your projects. Good luck !

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, sounds like fun, and I can't wait to see what you and Tiff will pull out! Me, my WIPs are already over 50, and I'm already feeling uncomfortable with that, but I have a vague plan that maybe I could get away with finishing something every weekend for the next two months. I have at least a couple projects that are close enough, but not sure it'll be enough...will have to make more detailed plans in the morning!

Annie said...

I'm definitely IN! Now that I'm stitching again I CANNOT resist any reason for a new start...or two...or ten...hehe:D