Saturday 4 February 2023

People's Choice SAL - Way With Words

Hello all!

It's the first Saturday of the month so time for the People's Choice SAL run by Jo from Serendipitous Stitching. Continued thanks to Jo for hosting this unique SAL which has a different theme each month.



This month's theme is Way With Words.

When I first started cross stitching I didn't see the fascination of stitching words - words looked too much like samplers and, as you know, I am not a sampler fan.

Then I discovered Ursula Michael and liked how she cleverly incorporated different words into shapes. And so the purchasing and stitching began - not too much I hasten to add, but enough to keep me going for a while.

My first Ursula Michael project was Let's Eat Dessert, stitched in 2016. Not only did I like the design, but I had some really scrummy fabric which matched the charted threads perfectly. As easy as the chart was, with mostly backstitching and the occasional crosses, I remember many counting errors and much frogging in the first few hours. Then, once I got the hang of it, the rest went smoothly.



My next word designs were started for Naughty November 2020, again not only because I liked them, but because I had the perfect fabrics. These were the seasonal Let's Bloom, Let's Have Fun In The Sun, Let's Breeze Into Autumn and Let's Be Frozen.

I've only completed Let's Be Frozen so far...



The remaining three are still WIPs:





My only mistake with these is stitching them on aida - they're certainly not impossible, but there are quite a few fractionals, so evenweave would have been much better.

The only other 'wordy' type projects I have are for four Harry Potter themed cushions. These show the character traits of the witches and wizards who belong to each of the four Hogwarts houses, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. I purchased them from AvroraCS on etsy ages ago but the seller is no longer listed. I've been meaning to start on these since forever but... you know!!



Look... no enabling this month!

Next month's theme is Science. That'll be interesting.

Take care,
Rachel x

8 comments:

Linda said...

https://www.inspireuplift.com/searchresults?search=avroracs&page=1
AvroraCS

Cathy said...

Lovely projects! I've stitched a couple of Ursula Michael designs--not the snow globes and actually preferred Aida to Evenweave since it was easier to count.

jocondine said...

I like all of your projects, the fabrics are really great and give a fabulous effect with the writings, perfect match! Love the Let's eat dessert pattern, all those yummy words, bon appétit ! The snow globes serie is nice too but I prefer Frozen, too many colors for me in the others. HP cushions would pleased my SiL1 never see that before. Amitiés. xxx

Katie said...

Hey I remember those and because of those I had to purchase several too haha. Of course. Love the seasonal snowglobes. Nooooo haha.

Faith... said...

I like stitching words, they seem so quick and easy! I love your the seasonal snow globes.

Pamela said...

Let’s be frozen is my favorite of those in your post, but I like them all!

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, Ursula Michael...I've been meaning to stitch something be her for AGES. She has so many fun ones to chose from!

Astrids dragon said...

Let's Eat Dessert is fantastic! That really is the perfect fabric for it. Let's Be Frozen is fab too, including the fabric. And that goes for your WIPs too!