Saturday 4 June 2022

People's Choice SAL - Beads

Hello all!

It's the first Saturday of the month so time for the People's Choice SAL run by Jo from Serendipitous Stitching. Continued thanks to Jo for hosting this unique SAL which has a different theme each month.



This month's theme is Beads.

I love beads and, looking through my list, realise I could have added them to so many past projects if I had thought about it at the time. I have been using them more recently and will continue that trend if I remember!

Some projects use lots as standard - think Mirabilia or Mill Hill - whilst others are added by the stitcher for effect (especially as a replacement for french knots!) I admire the patience of attaching sometimes hundreds of beads to projects, but the end result is definitely worth the effort.

In chronological order, here are my top three beaded projects:

Lavender and Lace's Celtic Christmas required a lot of beads in the border. However, because I was stitching on 16ct and Mill Hill beads are made for 14ct they looked untidy so I adjusted the pattern and density of beads to fit:



The borders around my monthly birthstones are beads. Each one is a different pattern, although it's not easy to see or tell from this picture!



I used beads for three of Sue Hillis' Dark Shadows Halloween designs for the drape-y bits of the chandeliers:




More recently, I started using beads to FFO projects, most notably my collection of Snuffles The Dragon. I thought the beads looked a bit like dragon scales (well, they do if you squint!) and they certainly make a change to using barley twist cord!



I'm also in the process of using beads to FFO the 10 variegated dragons I have recently finished. My plan is quite fiddly and time-consuming and I'm not yet happy enough to show a progress picture. I would say watch this space, but don't hold your breath!

Next month's theme is Pets.

Take care,
Rachel x

5 comments:

jocondine said...

Very nice stitchings with great beads additions. Those chandeliers are amazing such great patterns. xxx

Leonore Winterer said...

Beads are wonderful, and I love how your chosen projects showcase the whole scale, from tiny add ons to big beaded projects and ffoing!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in The People's Choice this month. I've also stitched Celtic Noel and loved doing the beaded decorations.
Your Candleholders look wonderful with the beads and I do like a beaded trim. When I can be bothered to take the time!
My Variegated Dragon is progressing although I think you did the right thing by using one variegated thread instead of the charted colours. Only 3 shades of yellow to go now...

Pamela said...

Great bead projects! Celtic Christmas is gorgeous!

beadgirl said...

The birthstone stitches look so pretty together, I'm tempted to stitch them myself. Happy beading!