Thursday 10 January 2019

New SAL Coming Soon - "Fully-Finished Gallery"

Hi all!

I'm on a mission... and I don't think it's impossible! It might not be easy, but I'm up for the challenge... are you?

Related image


My mission... to see more cross stitch projects being fully-finished in 2019 (and beyond). Here's why and how...

There are lots of really great cross stitch SALs out there which encourage new starts, stitching progress and happy dances. But what happens to a lot of those projects afterwards?

It saddens me that there are probably hundreds of completed cross stitches stored away in drawers and boxes when all that might be needed is a bit of encouragement or inspiration for their owners to dive in and have a go at fully-finishing some, even if it's only one or two.

I appreciate that fully-finishing a project can be daunting and probably not as much fun as the stitching itself (not to mention taking valuable time away from more stitching!) and I used to be a reluctant fully-finisher for just those reasons but, trust me, seeing a lovingly-stitched project on display after being fully-finished is immensely satisfying.

My travels through blogland are by no means extensive but I'm not aware of a place for stitchers to group together to share their fully-finished objects in something like a Fully-Finished Gallery. So I thought, why not create one?

And this is where you come in.

Image result for i need your help


I am going to start a Fully-Finished Gallery SAL to be run on the 10th of each month, starting 10th February 2019, with a linky-up widget thingy where you can join in and post your recently-completed fully-finished objects.

An FFO could be anything from sticking a project onto a piece of card to having it professionally framed, and covering everything in between - bags, bookmarks, boxes, coasters, cubes, gift tags, keyrings, ornaments, pillows, purses, scrapbook pages, tablecloths, tissue boxes, wall hangings... anything... as long as it's been fully-finished. Let your imagination run riot!

I very much want this to be a no pressure SAL so there will be no need to sign up and no commitment required - you just post as and when you have something to show. But to add to the fun, for each month you enter, your name will go into a draw for an end of year prize giveaway of some sort. How does that sound?

It is my hope to see FFOs by both regular and the more reluctant or ad-hoc finishers and that having somewhere central to post and share FFOs, and a variety of finishing techniques, might be just what's needed to give others inspiration and motivation to encourage even more finishes.

Please leave a comment if you like this idea and think you might join in, just so I know I won't be alone! And please feel free to spread the word on your own blog, or add a link back to this post if you wish - the more who know about it and can be encouraged or guilt-tripped into giving fully-finishing a go the better!!

So, come on, dust off your UFOs, turn them into FFOs and between us let's proudly populate this Fully-Finished Gallery with our cross stitch handiwork! Even if you only try it once it's one less UFO sitting around.

I'll set up a page with the 'rules' and write another post or two closer to 10th February to keep you updated. I'm also looking for a good logo (I'm not very imaginative!) so suggestions are welcome (or if you would like to design one...?)

Finally, a big shout out to two bloggers who have encouraged me with this idea; your positivity has helped no end. You know who you are. Thank you xx.

Like I said, I'm on a mission... and with your help it definitely won't be impossible!

Take care,
Rachel x

29 comments:

Ann C. said...

Hi Rachel, This is a great idea!! I will definitely joining your Missiion Possible monthly FFO. I have so many of the Just Nan 3D Miniatures all stitched up, but not finished yet. I have been saving them to finish all together, but I will now finish one a month instead. I always wondered what the FFO stood for on other people’s blogs, now I know. :).
Happy Stitching!!
Ann

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What an awesome idea! You know I'm always up for a new SAL, especially one that encourages me to actually make something out of the pile of finished projects.

I will be sharing this post and whipping up some enthusiasm among my friends.

I will also be following Ann C to see all her JN creatures!

Katie said...

You got me! I need to finish things SO BAD! Can't wait to see some ideas and get some advice.

Sue said...

I'm in! Sounds like a fun SAL. I'll be sharing this post.

Janet said...

I am in... I have been inspired to get my finish’s done and with will help push me along.

Sasha said...

This sounds great! I have a few finished projects that I need to fully finish, myself! This will certainly give me the motivation to get them done!

Stitching Noni said...

What a brilliant idea! I was only saying to my hubby over the Christmas break that I need to try and FFO my stitching more (especially all of the Smalls). So I am in!!! :0) One FFO a month will mean 11 or 12 more Smalls for the Christmas tree that I wouldn't have ordinarily had!! Bonus! :0)
Hugs x

Faith... said...

Sounds like a very encouraging idea!

I certainly hope that I am able to contribute to this SAL!

Beth in IL said...

YES! I have a stack of stitching-not just cross stitch, that needs to be finished. I would join the fun.

Loretta said...

I like your idea for FFO SAL. It has been a goal of mine for the past couple of years. I actually made some headway last year and really hope to do more this year.

Shondratasha said...

I have two bellpulls and a boatload of ornaments to FFO.

bonnie said...

Sounds like a great idea to me and I will give it a shot, thanks for doing this!!!

deb said...

Cool idea! I'm here from Jo's posting about your FFO SAL - maybe this will help me get a couple of things FFO's this year.

Mary's Thread said...

I'm IN! What a great SAL theme! And just the kick in the pants I need to get some things FFO's this year!

Cathy said...

I'm one of those with a drawer full of things needing to be FFO'd. Maybe this will give me the motivation I need to get them done.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

I'm here from Jo's post, and I think this is a fabulous idea for a SAL! I'm not blogging regularly at the moment but I'll try to join in :)

Erin said...

I'm in! I just undertook an inventory of all the things I've picked up for finishing....ornaments, jars, frames, and other oddities I've picked up at craft stores and thrift stores and who-knows-where, thinking, "oh, this would be perfect for XYZ!" Yeah, the inventory is scary. I need to use this stuff! Your SAL will be my inspiration!

Rachel said...

Your comment didn't come through by email so I'm just replying here to say welcome and I look forward to seeing your entries to this SAL.
Rachel x

Rachel said...

Hi Beth. Your comment didn't come through on email, so this is to say thank you, and I'm looking forward to your participation in this SAL.
Rachel x

Rachel said...

Loretta, your comment didn't arrive in my email box, so this is to say thank you for wanting to join in and I hope to see you there soon.
Rachel x

Rachel said...

Your comment didn't come through to my email box so I've popped in here to say thank you and I look forward to seeing your FFOs.
Rachel x

Rachel said...

Mary, you came through as a no-reply blogger. I'll look forward to seeing if this proverbial kick in the pants works!
Rachel x

Rachel said...

You came through as a no-reply blogger? I look forward to seeing what you can use from your finishing stash to fully-finish your projects!
Rachel x

Sheryl said...

This sounds a good idea and I´ll surely be taking part as my Dreaded Drawer has quite a few unfinished embroideries.

StitchThrifty said...

Fabulous Idea!! Count me in!! I need all the FFO encouragement that I can get. I had on my 2019 plans and wishes to FFO at least a few of my bag of finishes. Also to do better at FFO right away!

Leonore Winterer said...

That's a great idea :) I have a few thing lurking around that could use finish-finishing.

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

I'm totally in! Just bummed I didn't read your blog post about it sooner but I have the logo on my blog with linky to this page :D

THANK YOU! This is a great idea and I'm ashamed to say I have many finished pieces that need to be FFO'd.

rosey175 said...

I'm glad you've kicked the pants on a lot of people! My unfinished pile is thankfully tiny (I guess it's the "price" of a OaaT stitcher haha). I hope it's wildly successful and everyone has a pile of FFOs to show off!

Astrids dragon said...

And I'm happy to say I've already gotten a jump start on it! I'm looking forward to posting about it next month.