Saturday 4 July 2020

People's Choice SAL - Most Stitched Designer

Hello all!

It's the first Saturday of the month so time for the People's Choice SAL run by Jo from Serendipitous Stitching. Continued thanks to Jo for hosting this unique SAL which has a different theme each month.



This month's theme is most popular designer, i.e. the designer I have stitched the most.

Some people (including our host) can't get enough of one particular designer and seem to stitch almost everything they release. I tend to stitch projects because they appeal to me but that doesn't mean to say the two don't overlap.

According to my all-telling spreadsheet, the designer I have stitched the most is Lizzie Kate with 32 finishes and loads more waiting in the wings.

Back in January Lizzie Kate was the choice of this SAL - link here - so not wanting to repeat myself, I decided to move on to the second-placed designer I have stitched the most. And that is Durene Jones with 19 projects and, again, lots more on my to-stitch list.

Durene Jones designs for just about every cross stitch magazine, has an etsy shop and posts a Friday Freebie on her Facebook page nearly every week. Her style is fairly recognisable although, as would be expected, has evolved over the years. I prefer her earlier small, cute and easy to stitch projects rather than her newer ones, something definitely confirmed by my stitching and my stash!


I started my Durene Jones stitching in 2016 with this Snowman, one of her Facebook Friday Freebies:



Then in 2016 and 2017 I stitched these Dolphin Beach Buddies from issue 218 of Cross Stitch Crazy. There are another three in the set but I'm not quite so keen on those.




This Cute Animal Calendar was stitched during 2017. It's still waiting to be FFOd, since finishing it off the way I have in mind means cutting out each month individually and I haven't had the guts to do that yet!



These two Words Christmas Cards were stitched last year. There are four more in the set which are on this year's and next year's to-stitch lists.



I also have quite a few of her projects in my stash. These are my favourites:

Halloween Characters

Snowman Snowflakes and Cute Robins


I already have the 'perfect' fabrics for these so have a feeling that one day Durene Jones will overtake Lizzie Kate to become my most stitched designer; only 14 finishes needed to make that happen... no problem!!

Next month's theme for this SAL is freedom. I'd better get my thinking cap on as to how I'm going to interpret that one!

Take care,
Rachel x

10 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

A lovely collection of stitching, I haven't heard of this designer, I don't buy magazines anymore so I'll pop over to Facebook to have a look :-)

Pamela said...

Very cute designs! My favorite is that first snowman.

Linda said...

I love all of your projects Rachel. I have several of her Etsy charts and have a few barely started.

Linda

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

THanks for taking part in The People's Choice this month. I would not say I am a fan of Durene Jones' work but she seems like a lovely, genuine person, very generous with her work. It is well designed and very cute!
Maybe I will break my duck for her soon!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I like this one:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/769371211/peeking-cats-durene-j-cross-stitch?ref=shop_home_active_26

Mini said...

I'm like you, I stitch what appeals to me. Durene Jones is most stitched designer for me also.
Your finishes are just gorgeous specially the beach buddies.

Annie said...

I love Durene Jones too! The way she uses colour and backstitch etc is just fabulous. I've got so many charts by her in the magazines I'd like to stitch if I had unlimited resorces. I didn't know she had a Etsy store...got to check it out!

Faith... said...

Great post.I think L*K is a favorite of many people. She seems to have at least one design that appeals to everyone.

Leonore Winterer said...

Great stitching! I love Durene Jones' designs but I'm not sure I've stitched something of hers yet. I do have a ton of her freebies saves, though!

Astrids dragon said...

She has so many sweet designs and has certainly kept you busy! I might have to take a look through my magazines again to see what I've missed.