Saturday 4 April 2020

People's Choice SAL - Modern Samplers

Hello all!

It's the first Saturday of the month so time for the People's Choice SAL run by Jo from Serendipitous Stitching. Continued thanks to Jo for hosting this unique SAL which has a different theme each month.



This month's theme is Modern Samplers.

So, what exactly is a Modern Sampler?

Well to me, a Traditional Sampler is an A-B-C 1-2-3 with a house in the middle, some added motifs and maybe a couple of people; the type of design I would personally avoid at all cost!

Therefore (in my mind at least) a Modern Sampler is a 'picture' where a selection of motifs are used to build up the design. These motifs should not include an alphabet and numbers, but can include names and dates.

I can't think of having stitched any such designs, nor really having anything in my stash; I much prefer a 'proper picture' rather than designs made up from bits and pieces.

When I Googled 'modern cross stitch sampler' I was inundated with a variety of designs, many of which were not really 'samplers' but came up in the results because the word 'sampler' was in their title.

So what to show as my interpretation of a Modern Sampler?

Well, wedding and birth samplers are obvious designs which can be built up from motifs. Out of all the returns Google showed me there were only a couple which caught my eye; the rest were far too 'traditional'.

Birth Sampler / Baby Cross Stitch Kits – Sew Inspiring UK
Savannah Birth Sampler by Dimensions

Four Hearts Wedding Sampler by Historic Sampler Company


Thinking about themes other than births and weddings, how about:

Merry Christmas Patchwork Style Sampler by Riverdrift House
(would look just as effective in blues, silvers and lilacs, don't you think?)

Invierno Winter by Satsuma Street (etsy)
(the other seasons are also available!)

Marine Sampler by PatternsCrossStitch (etsy)
(sorry, Katie!)

Coffee Sampler by PatternsCrossStitch (etsy)
(I wish I'd seen this last month!)


Actually, I do have a 'sampler' in my stash. It's this one by Maria Diaz from a cross stitch magazine, although I can't remember 'witch' one! Get it?! I'd love to start this. Maybe next year.



So I hope you enjoyed my interpretation of the difficult theme of Modern Samplers. Next month's theme is fire; at least that should be A LOT easier! See you there.

Take care,
Rachel x

6 comments:

Katie said...

Sure....like I don't have enough to stitch. That's too cute. It would make an adorable pillow too. I will not look into it. I will not. I will not. Love all the choices you posted. That Halloween one is adorable!! Yes this is a hard theme.

Clare-Aimetu said...

A great collection for this theme, it's always a danger to go looking at anything stitch related... temptation is everywhere.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

THanks for taking part in The People's Choice this month. I love some of this selection, especially the Satsuma Street design.
Riverdrift House is definitely a company I think of when you say "modern sampler".

Ann C. said...

Thanks for giving us your interpretation of a modern sampler. I’m like you, I don’t like the traditional samplers so I have never stitched one. I do like the Maria Diaz Halloween one because of all the bright colours. I look forward to seeing you stitch it in the future.

Leonore Winterer said...

That's a great selection of very pretty samplers! There are a couple of modern band samplers I like as well (like from Northern Expressions), and I'd argue that there are some alphabet-type samplers that have a very modern feel too. It's not an easy subject to pinpoint for sure!

Astrids dragon said...

I guess I'm not a traditional sampler lover either, but the modern ones you've found are much better! I do like the Halloween one you have, I haven't seen that one before.