Monday 13 April 2020

Spring Into Summer New Start Binge - #2 Chick Berry

Hello all!

This Spring Into Summer New Start Binge will be taking place over the 17 weekends between April and July where Tiff and I will be starting a new project each weekend. Madness, we know, but totally needed! You are more than welcome to join us for as many or few weekends as you wish, with one or more new starts, or just even concentrating on a WIP for the weekend.

Here's Tiff's link for week 2.

If you recall our first new start last week, In The Gloaming, did not go smoothly. In fact it was a bit of a nightmare with lots of frogging and restitching as we kept swapping out colours.

Thankfully, this weekend's new start went perfectly. This is Valerie Pfeiffer's Chick Berry. It's one of four in her Solos collection, another set of projects I 'inherited' from my mum and am more than happy to stitch for her.



You all know how I love my coloured fabric, so I swapped out the white for coloured aida. Yes, there are quite a few fractionals, especially in the berries, but not enough to warrant the purchase of evenweave. I love how it's looking so far, even if the chick doesn't have any legs and, without the backstitching, the berries look like a bunch of balloons!

Chick Berry by Heritage Crafts
Stitched on 16ct Provence over-dyed aida 2 over 1
Stitching time to date - 5 hours 55 minutes


There are so many colours in this tiny chart - that clump of berries alone contains 15 - but that's what gives the design its detail. It also shows just how much can be achieved in a weekend when no frogging is involved!

I think next weekend's new start might have to be another of this quartet, but which one I wonder?

Take care,
Rachel x

12 comments:

Rita said...

O, what a sweet bird!

Tiffstitch said...

I love this one! And excellent progress too. Another day or two when you have time to squeeze it in might bring a finish. I'm so glad you had no colour issues with this one.

Linda said...

Love your new start Rachel. Awesome progress on it.

Linda

Cathy said...

Cute start! It is amazing how quickly a project stitches up when you only have to do each stitch once!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Oh how beautiful, we have Great Tits, Coal Tits and Blue Tits visiting our garden, lovely to see them.

Faith... said...

Valerie Pfeiffer's birds are always so pretty and this one is no exception! That is certainly a lot of colors! Looking forward to seeing which one is next.

Astrids dragon said...

What a sweet little piece, even better without frogs!

Katie said...

Oh no this is the worst idea to start new patterns. New things that of course I will love. What a cutie. I love birds. How adorable!! Great new start.

Bethan said...

Lovely new start - I love how the berries look right now x

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

This is a lovely little design, such pretty colours. I got another new JN start on Friday, I'll be showing it at some point!

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, this one is just precious. I LOVE how the colours on the berries turned out! You'll probably not even need a full ten hour slot to finish this off now.

Mary's Thread said...

this is very beautiful! I love the Valerie Pfeiffer birdies!