Sunday 1 November 2020

In The Gloaming - Dark October Progress

Hi all!

I am so proud of myself for resisting the temptation of a new start for Dark October/Halloween and instead pulling out a WIP - In The Gloaming by Whispered By The Wind.



In The Gloaming was the first project Tiff and I started earlier this year for the for Spring Into Summer New Start Binge. We both did a lot of frogging and re-stitching to get the colours right, since those listed on the chart, and supplied with Tiff's kit, were nowhere near the colours on the cover picture. From darkest to lightest I was using 3828, 739, 738 and 3865. I wasn't really happy with the darkest colour, and the middle two were very similar but it looked OK and I left it like this:



I started this session by frogging and re-stitching the first colour in 167, and then the third colour in 738. I think I'm finally happy; well, I must be because I carried and on! Here's how much further I got:

Stitched on 32ct Vintage Grey murano evenweave
Stitching time to date - 20 hours 30 minutes


Last night for Halloween, and to celebrate the full moon, I actually stitched the moon itself. I used one strand of the recommended colours and one strand of white Etoile so it's a lot paler than it should be... perhaps too pale? I'm not sure. But it does have that little bit of sparkle I was after. Maybe next time I pick it up I will frog and re-stitch it slightly darker - well, why not... all of the other colours (apart from the black) have been frogged!

But that's for next time. For now it's on to November and four more new starts to look forward to.  ;)

Talking of which, a few of you are planning, or have expressed an interest, in joining in with Naughty November. It's not an official SAL as such, but would you like me to put up a linky-widget thingy? I don't want to create any pressure, but it might be nice to have a snoop at other new starts. I don't mind either way. Let me know when you leave a comment.

Take care,
Rachel x

8 comments:

Astrids dragon said...

Great progress, I think your colours look great. The perfect time to stitch the moon! It's a little light, but I think it looks good, sort of like it's behind a soft cloud? Unfortunately, I couldn't see the moon last night because of all the clouds.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely progress on the Gloaming!
I say yes, put up a linky, might as well use them if you've paid the subscription LOL

Annie said...

I'm impressed that you still carry on with this project despite all the frogging... Hopefully you'll get rewarded in the end with a fab picture!

FlashinScissors said...

If it’s going to take a lot of stitching it’s best to be happy with the colours, so I think you were right to change them!
The Linky thing would be good, I was trying to work out who else was joining in and this will make it easier to keep track!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Tiffstitch said...

I love how that looks! Great colours and glad you got to the moon as well.

Faith... said...

I love this one!! The think the new colors look much better as the face is clearer now. Honestly, I had to go back and look for the moon because I missed it, but when I opened up your picture I could see it perfectly.

Leonore Winterer said...

Great progress! I like the moon, but it does fade into the fabric a little.

Katie said...

Trying to catch up. I think the moon is beautiful. But I understand if you want it to stand out more bright too. Great work.