Saturday 7 December 2019

People's Choice SAL - Winter

Hello all!

It's the first Saturday of the month so time for the People's Choice SAL run by Jo from Serendipitous Stitching. Continued thanks to Jo for hosting this unique SAL which has a different theme each month.



This month's theme is winter.

Winter in the UK is totally unpredictable and can vary so much between areas which are just a few miles apart. When I was a child I remember winters being cold and snowy, definitely seeing snowfall before Christmas and lasting a good few weeks. Nowadays, where I am at least, we might get a couple of days of snowfall in January/February/March which last a few days. Probably a good job; call me a pessimist, but half an inch of snow and most of the UK grinds to a halt!

But enough of memories, let's go through my stitching history and see what I can find that's Winter related:

Christmas Quacker, a little duckling wrapped up in a snowball, was one of my 2015 starts. I remember this was my first ever time stitching on evenweave. The fabric is a sparkly white and I decided to start with the white thread, more fool me! This is the only piece I've finished off as an 8"x8" scrapbook page.



Winter Owl by UAHomeMadeStudio (etsy) was another 2015 start. I love the way he's trying to keep warm but his beak's still poking out over the top of the scarf! You can't see it in the photo but I added Kreinik blending filament to the snow for a bit of sparkle.




Winter from The Four Seasons, a Maria Diaz magazine chart, was yet another 2015 start. This is probably my favourite of the four seasons, capturing the chill of a winter morning with cold blues and purples.




Winter Alphabet by Lizzie Kate is from 2016. I love how winter blues and creams have been combined with Christmas reds and greens.




I have a couple of winter projects in my WIP pile too:

Winter Hugs, a Tatty Ted magazine chart, is yet another 2015 start. It's being stitched on 16ct silver lurex aida which is incredibly stiff but which I know will soften over time. This project is already on my to-finish list for 2021!



Snow Globe Tree by Lucie Heaton (etsy) was one of this year's Summer Of New Starts. I made quite a lot of progress during November and plan to finish it (and start another from this set) in 2020.



Stash-wise, there are two that stand out:

Winter Wonderland and Holiday Delivery by Mill Hill were presents from my mum a couple of years ago. Now that I'm comfortable swapping the perforated paper for aida they really should become WIPs, and soon!




I hope you've liked my winter-themed post. Now to pop around and see what others have posted. If I see lots of blues and whites they'll make me feel cold and give me a good excuse for curling up with a fleece and a big cup of cream-topped hot chocolate!

Next month, Lizzie*Kate. One single designer but a few hundred patterns to choose from. That's going to be interesting.

Take care,
Rachel x

10 comments:

Quilting Tangent said...

Pretty winter projects.

Beth in IL said...

Lots of cute winter projects.

Ariadne said...

Winter woods or Winter wonderland as I know it is really gorgeous. AriadnefromGreece!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in The People's Choice this month. Beautiful winter designs, one very familiar to me from my post!
I really like the Maria Diaz scene. Have you stitched the other three?

Cathy said...

Nice projects! I'm actually familiar with some of them!

Katie said...

Great winter pieces! I haven't got my post together yet. Maybe tomorrow. I have the Winter Wonderland Mill Hill to stitch sometime. Love it! Love all your finishes. The duck is too cute!

Linda said...

Love all of your winter projects Rachel.

Linda

Leonore Winterer said...

We have the same problem here in some cities - a little bit of snow, and everyone goes crazy! Fortunately, where I live, people are still used to a bit of snow in the winter.

Love your post, so many gorgeous winter scenes, and all different!

Pamela said...

You have some sweet winter projects. I really like the snow globe!

Astrids dragon said...

They all look great, but that duckling and owl are adorable!