Saturday 6 April 2019

People's Choice SAL - Speciality Stitches

Hello all

It's the first Saturday of the month so time for the People's Choice SAL run by Jo from Serendipitous Stitching. Continued thanks to Jo for hosting this unique SAL which has a different theme each month.



This month's theme is speciality stitches.

In all honesty, I shouldn't be posting anything this month as I have a total aversion to using any other stitches than crosses in my work (apart from backstitching and the occasional french knots of course). BUT that doesn't mean I don't appreciate speciality designs and the work that goes into them, just that I would never stitch one.

So, what to show and ramble on about?

I tried to find a single project which was a sort of A-Z of speciality stitches, but couldn't, although I expect one exists somewhere (please let me know if you find one and I'll add it in).

Lakeside Needlecraft are selling a Butterfly SAL with Speciality Stitches and a Bluebird Band Sampler both of which combine normal crosses with speciality stitches. They're both very effective and pretty but they're not for me.

However, if you are actually interested in and/or like speciality stitches then check out this page by Mary Corbet at needlenthread.com for an A-Z listing along with loads of accompanying 'how to stitch' videos. I sampled a few of the videos and found them very clear. Plus each video is accompanied by pictures of how that particular stitch can be expanded upon for added effect.

There are also loads of books available about speciality embroidery stitches, including these two which I cheekily flicked through in a local bookshop:

Embroidery: Step-by-Step Guide to More Than 200 Stitches



Both are well laid out with clear pictures and instructions and well worth a look. The first book groups similar stitches together, e.g. running stitches, border stitches, filler stitches and so on, whereas the second book lists each stitch alphabetically. Personally I preferred the first book simply because grouping similar stitches together seems more logical.

Now to follow other participants and see what they've posted about. I know I will enjoy looking at projects containing speciality stitches but at least I know this will be one month where I won't be tempted into stash-enhancing!

Take care,
Rachel x

11 comments:

Janet said...

Thank you for the info this was a great post.

Linda said...

I'm with you Rachel. I like making just plain old x's.

Linda

Cathy said...

I don't blame you! Other than the Smyrna Cross which is basically just a cross stitch done twice, I also try to stay away from specialty stitches.

Pamela said...

Mary Corbet has a great blog with so many wonderful things! Thanks for giving more sources.

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing. Now off I make up my own post.

Ariadne said...

I don't do specialty stitches either but the link with all the videos of how to make them is priceless. AriadnefromGreece!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in The People's Choice this month. I am sure that there is a freebie A-Z of stitches on the Rainbow Gallery website. I'll have a look when I'm on my PC next.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

This is the link for the Rainbow Gallery charts:-

https://www.rainbowgallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/DDPScan_04_14_16002.pdf

Faith... said...

Oh Rachel I so agree with you on the specialty stitches. I avoid them at all cost and if I happen to see one in my chart I change it! LOL I have stitched a few in the past but my stress level at trying to get them to look good is crazy! ha ha I do admire (and envy) those that stitch them though.

deb said...

Rachel, you're just too funny! How wonderful that you wrote this great, informative post about specialty stitches when you don't even like them!

Leonore Winterer said...

To each their own - thanks for still looking around for us, even if you don't enjoy specialty stitches at all!