I have a break from the A-Z Challenge today so thought I would reveal my exciting "new" project. It is, of course, the gorgeous Scarlet Macaw Preening.
OK, I know it's not strictly a new project as it's a re-re-start but it is new in the sense that I'm starting from scratch again.
To cut a very long story short (extended version available on it's own page if you wish to read it) I've finally found a fabric I am happy with (remember, I'm not stitching the background so finding the perfect fabric was extremely important). After two years of searching, and many disappointments, I was beginning to think that perhaps I was destined to never stitch this project. It wasn't just me being fussy either, it was sometimes being let down by companies who couldn't produce the fabric they claimed they could.
Most of the fabric I use for my projects nowadays comes from sewitall.com an extremely friendly and helpful bunch of people who agreed they would be willing to try to create a suitable background. What they came up with was something much paler, plainer and more subtle than anything I had previously considered. Initially I was disappointed as I wanted a deeper and more colourful background, but when I understood the angle they had approached the design from that disappointment quickly disappeared, especially once I had laid out the threads.
Basically the fabric represents the tree canopy but in much paler colours in order to make the parrot "pop" off the fabric.
Once the fabric had been trimmed to size and put on my scroll bars I just had to make a start! As (yet another) reminder, here's the original chart:
And here's my first 10 hours of progress on the gorgeous new fabric:
Scarlet Macaw Preening
Shinysun's Cross Stitching
Stitched on 16ct custom-coloured over-dyed aida from sewitall.com 2 over 1
Stitch Count - 400 wide by 532 high (260 by 470 without background)
Started - 22nd March 2016
Stitching time to date - 10 hours
This represents about 1.5% stitched..... so not much left to go then!!
My plan (!) is to stitch on it regularly for an average 30-45 minutes per day for the next 2-3 years. This will allow me to continue with my many other projects at the same time and hopefully prevent me from feeling burdened by the scale of this one. And, of course, a project this size means I can once again return to being a Ten Hour Stitcher!
Naturally, plans are all well and good but I've got so many deadlines to stitch for in April that he may already have to be put to one side! We'll see though as I'm fairly certain that now he's started he won't ever be neglected!
Having read all of this back, my posting sounds quite deadpan but I can assure you I am really excited and soooooo happy to be stitching him. The wait was definitely worth it and FINALLY my parrot will come to life. His name's Sherlock, by the way, not because of the detective or TV programme..... I just thought the name suited him.
Back to the A-Z Challenge tomorrow.