Monday 25 April 2016

A-Z Challenge - U is for.....

Good morning!

And welcome to the final week of this A-Z Challenge 2016. To start the week we have U is for:


After you:
phrase - a polite expression to suggest that someone goes in front of you or takes a turn before you

I was thinking about this and how society has changed regarding polite behaviour. For example, years ago men would be expected to hold doors open for women and women would expect them to do so. Nowadays, whilst this behaviour still exists, some women would find it sexist rather than polite.

Driving has got to be the worst offender though. As a pedestrian I watch the behaviour of motorists as I walk. Believe it or not, it is the younger (not including teenage) males who tend to be the politest drivers, letting other drivers out or pedestrians across roads. School run mums and middle-aged men are definitely the worst. Please note, this is not a criticism of drivers, just a general observation. I feel I may be opening up a hornet's nest if I say any more!!


As for charts for today, how on earth was I going to find anything remotely related to "after you" as a polite expression? I found one funny "after" chart then went off at a tangent thinking that "after you" is a polite expression, politeness is related to chivalry and chivalry was a major principle of King Arthur and his knights. So I have chosen:

I Before E by nerdylittlestitcher (etsy)

Brave Knight by Bucilla

King Arthur by DMC


My personal Us include:
university - I've already mentioned Swansea and my degree but what I haven't said is that I was the first member of my family to go to university. A proud moment.
unorganised - not only disorganised but very very very unorganised... except where storing my cross stitching and scrapbooking stash is concerned and then I'm a little bit OCD! Hubby has always said my time management and prioritisation skills are appalling!


And my finished U piece is:

April Showers by DMC (because he's holding an umbrella!)

This is Lickle Ted who was started and finished in 2015 and still waiting to be framed. I'm sorry to show a piece which I only finished a few months ago, but I couldn't find anything else remotely U related! Anyway, he certainly sums up the weather in the UK this month so is actually quite an apt choice!


We go to Continental Europe for tomorrow's V.
Rachel x

13 comments:

Heather said...

Ha I love the I before e. I think all of us stitchers have problems with prioritizing I know I certainly do ;). Cute ted :)

Unknown said...

The King Arthur chart is beautiful

Ros
Fangirl Stitches cross stitching A-Z
Travel like a Geek Harry Potter Tour

Preeti said...

Lickle Ted is very cute!!:)

Mii Stitch said...

Awww your Lickle Ted is just so cute!!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I don't generally mind if someone holds the door open for me, it's better than letting it slam shut! But what used to drive me mad was being in the lift at work and there'd be all this shuffling about to let the woman at the back get out first. For heaven's sake, you were last in and are standing in front of the door, get out first so we can all get to lunch LOL

Justine said...

The world would be a much nicer place if everyone thought "after you", in all aspects of life.
As a school run driver I can assure you I am most courteous to other drivers! But I generally find women are much less considerate drivers than men.
Love your Lickle Ted, not loving the rain!

#HeatherMakes said...

A brilliant U :)

#HeatherMakes said...

A brilliant U :)

Tiffstitch said...

cute choices and love your finish!

Vilje Vanilje said...

I understand you had a hard time finding after you related stitches but I like the ones you have chosen. I would much rather have rain than the bursts of snow and hail we have been having these past few weeks. Luckily where I live the snow didn't stick! I love your Lickle Ted.

Linda said...

Love the charts and finish Rachel.

Linda

Brigitte said...

Lickle Ted is such a cutie, I have always loved to see this little guy.
I'm with you about unorganized. My cross stitch stash is the best organized part of the house, lol.

Unknown said...

Love your driving observations... And the world it has changed so very much.