Tuesday 22 December 2015

Christmas Variegated Thread Tags

Good morning all!

Wow, wow and triple wow! Thank you all so much for your lovely comments about my framed Owls In Love. I really am overwhelmed by your generous comments. It's pleasing to know I've stitched and framed a piece that so many of you genuinely like!

Getting into the Christmas spirit, I wanted to make a couple of tags using variegated threads. I always use the cut and loop method so saw this as a good opportunity to carry out a little experiment. The top tag has been stitched using that method, the bottom tag using two strands in parallel. You may have to enlarge the photo to see the differences:

 Based on Lizzie Kate's Wait 'Til Dec 25th
Stitched on 16ct Holly Aida with silvering by Sewitall.com 2 over 1
Stitched with - Threadworx 1085 Christmas Time
Total stitching time - 2 hours 10 minutes each


I can't decide which one I prefer. The colours in the top tag looks a little "dirtier" because of the green-red combination yet give a lovely effect close up. The colours in the bottom tag are obviously sharper as that's how the thread is supposed to be used! Perhaps the cut and loop method would work better in other colours? I don't know.

I made them into simple tags using pearlised green card and red tinsel ribbon:



I know that one of the recipients has already opened their presents but the other has duly waited, so my stitching was not all in vain!!

This will be my last post before Christmas (I think) so may I take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy Holiday or Merry Christmas filled with love, laughter and lots of stitching!

Take care,
Rachel x

14 comments:

Heather said...

They both look great! I wouldn't have thought to do it both ways but they are a good combo.

Mii Stitch said...

They both look lovely! I might not have opened the gift yet but rest assured I have been admiring your handy work :)

Justine said...

What a difference that makes! I'm not sure which I prefer of the two. I suppose for a design like this either option works well but it might need thinking about for different designs.
You did write on the back of the tag that I didn't have to wait until 25th December - so I took you at your word! Your tag is now "guarding" the presents under our tree...
Thank you again for the lovely gifts. I won't say too much as I know Mii hasn't opened hers but my needle is itching to get started!

Pull the other thread said...

Thanks so much for showing this. I always use two strands rather than the loop method when using variegated thread. So pleased to get a chance to see how the loop method changes the look. They are both fantastic, the top one has a more earthy look and the bottom has bright colours. I think I will have to try out the loop method some time now.

Katie said...

Oh that's very neat to see them side by side. I've always done the method on the bottom but I've heard of the top method for it. I guess if it matters I prefer the bottom one but it doesn't really matter haha. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

Tiffstitch said...

Great experiment. I've one something similar with other threads and it does seem to depend on the thread and lengths you use how it ends up. Both look beautiful though, so that's all that matters. And how did I miss your Owls framed post? Off to check.

Tina said...

How cute are these?! It's very interesting to see the difference in the threads depending on which way they are used. I think both look great! And I just love the little holly leaves and berries on the fabric!!

Linda said...

Congrats on the cute finishes Rachel. You are so clever. Happy Holidays.

Linda

Sarah said...

I like both. Would be hard to pick a favorite.

Happy holidays.

Faith... said...

They both look great and I love how you made them into tags. Merry Christmas to you and your family Rachel!

Brigitte said...

That's a very interesting experiment, Rachel. I have never done that because I rarely use the loop method. But so interesting to see the difference in the two tags. I should try that too.
Merry Christmas to you and your family, too.

Thoeria said...

They're both lovely Rachel....can't pick a favourite! And I like your idea of turning them into tags....will have to remember that for next year!
Have a wonderful day tomorrow :)

ALICE MARGAUX said...

A very Merry Christmas and a happy and creative 2016! Sunny greetings from New Orleans, Alice

Preeti said...

Beautiful tags !! Merry Christmas to you and your family:)